Australia & New Zealand

Australia & New Zealand
Part I - Australia, Part II - New Zealand

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Port Macquarie - Mar 9

Summary: Rainforest Walk and “go back to bed”

Well, our tropical morning started with rain, which went well with sleeping in on a Sunday.
Along the lines of “moving into the tropics” from yesterday, we went on a rainforest walk. On Sandy Beach (clever name, huh?) at Sea Acres Rainforest Centre, there is an elevated walkway above the rainforest. I like my bushwalking on elevated platforms – what can I say? I am a city guy who prefers not to become familiar with words like “anti-venom”. Pretty walk and Alex loved it. After running ahead of me the whole time (instead of asking to be carried), he stopped by the one stream and is throwing every leaf he can find into the stream (that last photo above). The water is not muddy, but tea-colored. In other words, it is clear but brown (the photo did not really show it). Nice walk, great people running the place. Side note, the big smile on the opening photo came from asking him to say "baba" (grandma). I]m sure she'll want to know that. They’ve got a little café attached to the walk, so I could get myself a skinny strong flat white and a baby-cino for Alex to keep him involved.

Right now, we are negotiating nap time and will hopefully get to the beach today. Either way, I will build that into tomorrow’s write up.

Next: there are several options in the region, but I think we’ll do the camel ride sooner than later.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Great stuff as always. Being around Port Macquarie, you're near the stomping grounds of my distant relatives that live in Wee Waa!

Anonymous said...

anti-venom is agood word to kep out of your spoken language (good to understand the meaning though, otherwise you might be tempted to go off the board walk)