Australia & New Zealand

Australia & New Zealand
Part I - Australia, Part II - New Zealand

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lake Cathie - Mar 13

Summary: Lake Cathie, Macadamia Farm cafe, the least convenient winery ever, more beach time, more Aussie oddities, very long time no see
Lake Cathie ("Cat Eye") is a really cool lagoon. The water is literally salt water tea. There are tea trees nearby that color the water like tea. We waded the whole way across (behind Alex on that first photo) to the beach on the other side, which is on the ocean. Most of it was ankle deep, but the deepest it got was waist deep. The only problem with waist deep is that you can't really see your feet or what is at your feet. I stepped on a thing that felt almost like a hose. It was a branch or vine, and I am not willing to consider any other theories on that, thank you. Seriously, there were lots of fish in the lagoon. Apparently there are skates and rays in the deeper parts (away from the ocean). High tide comes in to replenishe and clean it. Also, in our continuing series of playgrounds on prime coastal real estate, this one fit right in. Anyhow, there were some moms (and a grandma) and their kids, so it was a very kid-oriented place. They were very friendly and Alex had a great time playing with their kids. This is the kind of lagoon that is apparently very common on Fraser Island - too bad we can't take a few days there. The beach on the ocean was absolutely beautiful. Soft sand, perfect waves... like most beaches around here. I am very glad we went and I am also amazed this place is not better known (probably too small to accommodate hundreds). This is the definition of a local jewel.

We drove further south and the scenery was wonderful. There are mountains to the south that overlook it, but we drove up to a Macadamia nut farm. Having enjoyed one in Hawaii, I figured it would be fun. I was barking up the wrong tree. They are nice enough and will answer questions, but nut tasting or educating people about Macadamia nut plantations or the history of Macadamia nuts in Australia is clearly not their business. You can walk amongst the trees (we did), you can taste a few nuts (check), but this is a cafe and the farm is the backdrop. Lunch was good and the drive out there was beautiful. It looked like the New River Valley in Virginia (with a few stray tropical plants) and had an odd street sign (see below).


Next up, Alex slept and I went to the Bago Winery (OK, one of us slept in the back, the other one tasted wine). I had heard of this winery and from the map, it looked convenient. Thing is, it is down a few dirt roads. You would think it was a meth lab given how inconveniently located in the back woods it was, but when we got there it was a beautiful scene. After driving several km off the main road through forests and past ponds there is a big opening planted with grapes - it really is a picturesque setting, I am just glad it wasn't raining. Their wine was very good and they have an interesting varietal that handles the warmer weather here called Chambourcin.


We got back and there was no further sleep for Alex. We walked over to the beach and this time I brought the camera. Alex brought a bag of cooked pasta (don't ask). As you can see, the pool is calm and placid - with a gentle rise and fall to keep things interesting. Met a local couple with their kids. Their two kids are younger than Alex, but both were very comfortable with the water in that little lagoon. This is clearly a great place to raise kids. Relaxing pace, growing area, close to Sydney and Brisbane... and a Starbucks. What's not to like?


As promised, you now have a photo of the car-like pickups. It was probably unfair to call them rednecky, but they do look a little unusual. This one is probably the nicest and newest one I saw today. I may add a photo of one that is a bit more "country" in the coming days when I see an older one with the roo bars. The next sign is the closest thing to the German Autobahn unlimited speed limit sign I've ever seen outside Germany. So what does it mean? I don't know. My guess: no real limit but use your discretion. It was back to back with a speed limit sign (80) and clearly was meant to indicated speed. More interesting things from Australia include "Ginger Beer". I wasn't really sure whether to expect something close to Ginger Ale. If I did, I was off, but root beer is directionally closer.
One last surprise. On a lark, I Googled a guy I had gone to elementary school with who moved back to Australia when I was 10. Turns out he is a musician - with CDs and the whole bit. The pictures looked like they could be of him, but who knew? Of course, I didn't do this in the US or earlier in the trip, so I've already passed where he lives (Victoria), but there was an e-mail option on one of the pages. Not expecting anything from a recording star (or fully expecting it could be a different guy with the same name), he responded within a few hours. Pretty cool, but I wish I had thought of it earlier, we could've grabbed a coffee. Still cool either way - looks like he is achieving a dream and you gotta love that.

Next: last day in Port - maybe a victory lap for the highlights plus the crazy maze

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for explaning what Alex is holding in his hand on the picture - I did spend some time trying to guess what it was before seeing your text.... cooked pasta was not among my guesses - I´ll have to ask about it later.

The pictures have awesome colors - very pretty (and a sign of good photography skills. OK, maybe I am overdoing it - Junior would be a better judge on this)