Australia & New Zealand

Australia & New Zealand
Part I - Australia, Part II - New Zealand

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

11.Oct.2016 Departure Day

This trip came together pretty fast. Over a couple days, 1) I got a job offer, 2) determined last day of work with current employer (Conversant), 3) requested later start date with new employer (Forrester), 4) booked the flight.  8 days later and we're heading to the airport.  In the meantime, we had to do two things: 1) weekend football trip to see South Carolina (my grad school) lose to Georgia, and 2) press 200 lbs of Petite Sirah grapes. Thanks to a thoughtful hurricane, we skipped step one. Touristy things in Savannah are harder to do in hip-deep water and getting to a game is harder when I-26 is an evacuation route. So on Monday I went in, finished up what needed to be done, got home, and pressed some vino (along with Alex and several friends). As a credit to my friends in Conversant IT, by the time I got home, my work e-mail didn't work. #efficient Let me just say the pressing was fun as it became a meat/cheese/wine inspired improv night, but we went through trace amounts of wine. again #efficient

 

Anyhow, today (as weekdays without work tend to be) has been awesome - wake up late (7am), clean  wine making equipment, head downtown to see my buddy Marc's sendoff at work (things happen in threes - not sure who #3 is), and fine tune the amount of pink princess-themed apparel/toys/books that make the cut before Victoria and I fly to New Zealand. Can't speak about your kids, but if Victoria has some control over things, it all goes better. She picks some toys, some clothes, some stuffed animals, games, and we're good. Also, if you don't bring it up, whatever items are not there will be forgotten - except Mommy because Mommy is always top of mind. I am betting Victoria will melt down wanting my wife on the ferry to the South Island (Oct 16) - you are free to set your own over/under betting odds. We'll see how things stack up.



Where was I?  Oh yeah, getting on a plane for the next few days. I've brought a few surprises to keep her entertained en route. I'll miss October 12 altogether. To save serious money, we get to change planes in Sydney foir 4 hours - long enough to be a long change, too short to sprint down to Darling Harbour and relax for 7.4 minutes - then get into Auckland late on the 13th. Totally worth it. To make up for it, I get a pretty full October 28 at the end of the trip - hang out in Auckland all morning, leisurely mid-afternoon departure, quick 12 hour 20 minute direct non-stop flight home, land in SFO before 7am, and continue to enjoy the day for another 17+ hours. Let me tell you right now what I'll do then: Virginia Tech plays Pitt in football while I am in the air, so assuming I don't have live TV over Tahiti, I'll watch a replay of that the moment I get home.
  

So here we are at the airport.Victoria has said goodbye to Mommy, forgotten her brother, and taken down some chocolate chip cookies and brownies late at night. What could go wrong? She is looking out at the airplanes, evaluating which one we should be in. That seems like a good place to leave things. See you in Sydney (or Auckland)!



  

No comments: