Australia & New Zealand

Australia & New Zealand
Part I - Australia, Part II - New Zealand

Thursday, October 20, 2016

20.Oct.2016 Nelson and a play date


We got out of Franz Josef pretty early. It rained all night, which certainly helps with sleep. We awoke to find that the snow line had gotten a little lower.  It wasn't cold, but it was good to get going.


We stopped for lunch in a town called Reefton. Nothing too inspiring food-wise, but on our way back to the car we passed a group of Americans heading to lunch - one guy had on a Virginia Tech hat. We chatted briefly about our graduating classes. That was cool, if not worthy of a photo. With all the pictures I took (and had yet to upload) yesterday, I didn't do much today. We stopped at a place that sells honey and does honey tastings (who knew honeys from the same region could taste so different?). We also did some wine tasting, as we re-enter Marlborough.



Drove into Nelson - seems like a nice town with great weather (all the time from what I hear). I mentioned that when I was on the ferry I met a family moving here. I reached out to Mark, he said "come on by", so we did. Victoria and Caro played while we hung out. Victoria was delighted to be running around with another little girl and they got on famously. Likewise, I enjoyed hanging out with Mark, Rachael, and her parents (visiting as they make their move). They made dinner and it was a great evening.

Tomorrow morning we'll be up early, driving to Picton, taking a ferry to Wellington, and driving up to Hawke's Bay/ Napier. Let's see if spotting that VT hat sends some good luck their way for tomorrow's game against Miami. 

No comments: