Australia & New Zealand

Australia & New Zealand
Part I - Australia, Part II - New Zealand

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Fremantle - Feb 9

Summary: Freo and a pool

We did a few odds and ends today (laundry, doctor visit). In between we went to Fremantle. "Freo" is a cool little English port town 20 minutes from Perth. The buildings are older and look like a little English port town built in the 1800s. There are a fair amount of comfortable, familiar stores along with a very cool street (analogous to Columbus in San Fran) with Italian food, coffee shops, and some other good restaurants. I forgot the camera, but I hope I am painting the scene.



When we got back we went to the pool. We found the one cold place in all of Perth. On a moderately warm day, the pool was in the shadows and windy. Suffice it to say, I wanted to get away from the pool but Alex loved it.


I had yet another seemless and reasonably priced experience with the medical system. Alex crashed early and I will soon.
There was one anecdote I did not publish when I should have and haven't found a way to work it in - since these two posts are short, I'll put it here. A field next to the school in Pine Creek, NT - between Kakadu and Katherine - had American Football goalposts. Aussie Rules football goalposts look different - two shorter poles on the outside, two taller ones in the middle. This was one you'd see in any high school field in America. I have no idea why they would have that, but it was interesting.


Tomorrow, we are off to Rottnest Island (an island with great beaches and no cars), with camera. This will be a fun and relaxing Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, just like Catalina - I got so sunburnt when we went there my skin hurt just covering me... 3 gallons of aloe vera jelly later and it still hurt...